Monday 16 December 2013

Advent Calendar Day 15

Playing catchup on posts again...
Today's tea is English Breakfast, a classic if there ever was one!

Name:  English Breakfast


Brand:  David's Tea


Primary Type:  Black


Dry Scent:  Tea.  Well, of course this smells like tea, but what I mean is more, this smells like the primordial "tea" scent that immidiately tells my brain that there is tea somewhere nearby.  This smells like mornings at my grandmother's house, or walking into an old-time tea shop like Murchies.  There are deep, earthy notes, some sweet hints and a definite citrus tone to brighten it up as well.


Steeping Time:3-4 min


Steeped Flavour:  This tastes like grandma! (but not in that bad, weird way)  I mean to say that it reminds me greatly of sitting in front of the tv in the morning with a tv tray and a bowl of cereal and a slice of bread and peanut butter, with my paternal grandmother, watching a bit of early morning tv while we had breakfast.  I didn't drink tea at that age, of course, but she did, and this tastes very much like the scent of the English Breakfast tea she always used to have.  The flavour is rich, slightly oaky almost, but bright enough with citrussy and sweet notes to keep it from being overpowering.  The flavour is very comforting, and I am surprised just how strongly it brings back those early memories.


Food/Drink Pairings:  Cookies for this one.  Peak Freans in particular, dipped into it until they start to crumble just a little (but not enough to foul the tea).  It would go well with any meal as far as I'm concerned, but if you have worries about caffeine before bed, I would say don't drink this past lunch, since it is quite strong.


Rating out of Six Tails:
6/6 purely on how nostalgic this tea makes me, 5.5/6 if you want to be really picky on things


Buy/Don't Buy

No comments:

Post a Comment