Friday 8 November 2013

Gyokuro Yamashiro

Name: Gyokuro Yamashiro 


Brand: David's Tea


Primary Type: Green


Dry Scent: Very grassy and green, almost oily-green in scent. This is altogether the most green thing I've smelled in quite some time.


Steeping Time: 1.5 min


Steeped Flavour: This is lovely. Not bitter (of course, only due to careful steeping) and also not in any way fishy or "oceanic" the way that green teas can be. I've heard this described as tasting like buttered asparagus, and I can see where that idea comes from. There is certainly a butteriness overlying the green in this, but it reminds me a bit more of kale or fiddleheads. Definitely fiddleheads. I would buy more of this if it wasn't so very, very expensive.


Food/Drink Pairings: This is marvelous with cheese and crackers, or shrimp...any high-end, delicate appetizer really.


Rating out of Six Tails:
6/6


Buy/Don't Buy




Again this was a sample I ended up with and I've been putting off trying it because of the price. I put a buy on this but for goodness' sakes try this before you buy it, and only buy it if you have some experience with the care needed for brewing green teas. This is very good but very, very pricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment