Thursday 28 November 2013

Maharaja Chai/Samurai Chai Tea Blend

Name: Maharaja Chai/Samurai Chai Tea Blend


Brand: Teavana


Primary Type: Maté and Oolong


Dry Scent: There is definitely a "chai" sort of scent to this, and something a little almost minty. There is also, of course, a scent of maté and the greenish, fresh scent of oolong, but one thing I definitely notice is that this smells a bit sweet. I can actually smell the sugar crystals that are added to the blend


Steeping Time: 4-5 min


Steeped Flavour: This definitely has nice, spicy and warming chai flavours to it, mostly cinnamon and cardamom, but the thing that most stands out in the flavour of this blend is, unfortunately, the amount of sugar that was added to it. This is one of the things I dislike about Teavana's pre-blended teas - they sweeten them. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to sweeten tea now and then, especially if you're cold and are trying to warm up, but I'd rather be in charge of the amount of sweetener added to my tea, rather than having the amount dictated for me.


Food/Drink Pairings: This would be nice with a slice of spice cake or maybe with a splash of rum in it, like a hot toddy.


Rating out of Six Tails:
3/6


Buy/Don't Buy

I'm very much on the fence on whether to recommend a buy on this one or not.  On the one hand, it is a nice chai, but on the other hand....too much pre-added sugar!  Seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment