Friday 20 September 2013

Bai Hao Yin Zen

Name:  Bai Hao Yin Zen


Brand:  David's Tea


Primary Type:  White


Dry Scent:  Very green-smelling (not green-tea smelling) like fresh leaves when you brush them with your fingers.  Delicate to the nose, but strong in the amount of scent it puts out.


Steeping Time:  4-5 min


Steeped Flavour:  Warm, again fresh and green, but with a smoothness to it, and a sort of buttery aftertaste.  Almost tastes a little woodsy, but deciduous forest, not conifer.  Something like the woods out east rather than our coastal rainforest here.  This tastes quite a bit greener than I usually taste from white tea, and almost reminds me of the tea served in every Chinese restaurant I've ever been to, only better.


Food/Drink Pairings:  This would seem to me to be pretty versatile.  I can see drinking it on its own, or with breakfast, lunch or dinner (although it does actually have a fairly high caffeine content for a white tea, so right before bed might be a bad idea)


Rating out of Six Tails:
5.5/6


Buy/Don't Buy

I've been holding off breaking into this sample since the tea is SO expensive, but as DT has it on sale just now, I wanted to try it and see if it was something I would want to add to my collection.  My "Buy" rating on this should be taken with the caveat that it's definitely not something to just casually decide to buy from the online store if you're short on funds.  If you're really curious about this one, I would suggest going into a DT outlet and getting one of the salespeople there to make you a cup of it.  All cups of tea cost the same, after all, no matter how expensive it would be to buy the leaves, so that's a good way to "test run" a more pricey tea if you aren't sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment