Saturday 7 September 2013

Fantasy Island

Name:  Fantasy Island


Brand:  David's Tea


Primary Type:  Black


Dry Scent:  This smells like raspberry jam drop cookies.  The soft kind with oatmeal and coconut.  The raspberry is definitely sweet and jammy to the nose, and the coconut smells warm and rich...beautiful!


Steeping Time:  6-7 min


Steeped Flavour: Not quite as sweet as it smelled dry, but that is a good thing, really.  The first flavour across the tongue is coconut, rich and creamy, followed by the slightly tannic bite of the black tea, with the raspberry lingering on the tongue as an aftertaste.  Quite tasty and surprisingly refreshing, given how I thought it might taste when I smelled it dry.


Food/Drink Pairings:  Cookies.  Omg definitely a cookie-dunking tea.  Especially oatmeal cookies.  This would be wonderful with breakfast, and any snacks or desserts, and I'm guessing would be extremely tasty as a tea latte.  DT suggests icing it, and I can see how that would be really good as well, although it's starting to get past "iced tea" season a bit.  Another tea that I would love to try infusing into a cake icing, maybe for a nice dark chocolate cake with jam between the layers...


Rating out of Six Tails:
4.5/6


Buy/Don't Buy

The reason I rated this tea a little lower than it sounds like I ought was because I did find that the tea is a bit more tannic than I like.  I may try it another time with a slightly shorter steeping time and a tiny bit more tea so that I can reduce the amount of tannins coming through and not lose the richness of the flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment