Saturday 24 August 2013

Caribbean Calypso Maté

Name:  Caribbean Calypso Maté


Brand: Teavana


Primary Type:  Maté


Dry Scent:  Tropical and fruity, with the scents of mango and pineapple predominating and an undertone of lemony citrus from the lemongrass.  Very warm and summery, like sitting on a tropical beach but with that hint of an ocean breeze to keep it from being too much altogether.


Steeping Time: 5-6 min +  (if drinking gourd-style, minimum 5 min before beginning to drink)


Steeped Flavour:  Yum, although not what the dry scent would bring you to expect.  Most strong once this maté steeps is the flavour of the lemongrass.  This actually put me off a little at first, I was disappointed because I had wanted this to be more fruity, but the fruit is still there, hiding under the strong, grassy citrus, and lingers in the mouth after you take a sip.  I find this is often the case in teas blended with lemongrass - it tends to take over and come on just a little too strong.  The citrus is strong enough, in fact, that I taste nothing of the maté's dark earthiness in this tea at all.


Food/Drink Pairings:  This would be lovely iced, and is definitely a dessert tea.  Conversely, it would be lovely with breakfast, since it's a maté and has lots of zing from the matteine to wake you up and get you going.  This would cut nicely through any food that is rich, due to the citrus overtones, and the tea itself is quite light.


Rating out of Six Tails:
4.5/6


Buy/Don't Buy

My first rating for a maté, yay!  I do so very much love maté, and I keep a variety of blends in stock at all times.  Especially since my body started rebelling against caffeine when I discovered my thyroid issues.  Matteine (the caffeine-cousin compound in maté) is just as effective, but a much gentler ride than caffeine, with no crash at the end.  Straight maté takes some getting used to, it is VERY earthy and grassy-dark-herbal tasting, but it is very much worth educating your tastebuds!

1 comment:



  1. Kidney Blend Teas Denali merchandise, inc Uses only the greatest organic teas enhance usual well being
    through assisting liver kidney feature, blood nice

    ReplyDelete