Thursday 15 August 2013

Lime Gelato



Name: Lime Gelato


Brand: David's Tea


Primary Type: Green


Dry Scent: This smells like key lime pie. I kid you not, it smells EXACTLY like key lime pie, or maybe lime cheesecake. Either way there is a definite creaminess to the scent, and even something that smells a little bit of cookies or graham crackers (although of course that might be pure associative suggestion since they are paired so intrinsically in my mind)


Steeping Time: 6-7 minutes


Steeped Flavour: Wow. Just wow. I've not always had good luck with green tea blends, I find that they often have too much green tea flavour (and sometimes the fishiness that green tea can have) and not enough flavour of what other things are blended with them due to the shorter steeping time most green teas require, and the lower water temperature. This one? ...does not have that problem at all. I wouldn't say it tastes like gelato to me exactly, it's creamier than most citrus gelatos I've had but that may just be where I get my gelato rather than any fault in naming. It definitely tastes of citrus, particularly of sweet lime, and the creaminess of yoghurt is there as well. The tea has much less tannic bite than some, which makes it flow over the tongue smoothly, and the only lingering aftertaste is of sweetness and limes. The flavour of this tea changes very little as it cools.


Food/Drink Pairings: Forget drinking this with dessert...this is dessert. I think it would pair very nicely with citrussy liqueurs in a martini, or could stand in for margarita mix if you didn't have such a thing handy. I did take about half a cup of this tea and added it to a single-serving container of coconut flavoured greek yoghurt, whipped them together and put it in a popsicle mould...will update you with the results once they're frozen, but I anticipate deliciousness!


Rating out of Six Tails:
6/6


Buy/Don't Buy


To be perfectly honest, I was not expecting this one to rate so high! >.> it looks like I've got another tea to add to my "must keep this in stock at all times" list, particularly in the summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment